Wednesday, February 10, 2010

T&L Journal #2 - Assistive Technologies

For this journal entry I chose to do the Assistive Technologies assignment, primarily because I am often impressed by some of the assistive technologies that are available, that I had never known about. While I am sure that there is still a lack of these types of technologies and places to find them, I am glad that they are actually made and available. I'm sure that there is much more available now than there would have been a decade or more ago. It is good that our society is moving towards providing more of the supports that may be needed. It appears to me that there used to be a one-size fits all attitude towards tools, toys and learning materials/technologies. There was a time when a southpaw was lucky just to get a pair of left-handed scissors! Look at what's available.

We also are fortunate for the internet, which makes these technologies, tools and toys much more easily accessible for the people that need them. After all, they're not sold at your local department store, so where would you find them otherwise?

Website #1 - Adaptive Toy Libraries-Assistive Technology of Ohio - I went to this site first because I was intrigued by the title of "adaptive toys." It interested me not just because toys are fun, but because of my son. While he is developing all of his cognitive and motor skills on pace for his age--6 months--I realized, what would we do if he wasn't? The site discusses libraries for people that need these adaptive toys to try out different toys to see if their child likes them and their use warrants buying one. I have already seen the unpredictability of whether a toy will be enjoyed or ignored, but can't imagine what it would feel like to purchase one of these very expensive toys--supply and demand probably really hurts the people buying these products--just to find out your son or daughter was not interested in it. I was disappointed to find that the only Adaptive Toy Library that appears to be within an hour of here is in Parma. There are none in Summit or Portage Counties, and Parma is the only location in Cuyahoga County.
The site does not contain a list of all of the toys and materials available, since each library is different, but does have links to many of the companies that make the products that they use. In browsing some of the things on these sites, a few among the many that I found interesting were:
  • Creepster Crawler - a device that safely suspends youngsters in a crawling position in order to help them exercise, get therapy or possibly learn to crawl.
  • Chewlry Chewable Jewelry - a sensory solution for children with chewing tendencies.
  • Classroom Light Filters - fluorescent light filters that can reduce the harshness of the bright lights for sensitive eyes.
  • MeToo Trikes - adaptive tricycles
  • Classroom Support Chair - this chair has a harness to help keep the child sitting upright
  • and most relevant to this topic - Keyboards/Mouse/Trackballs/Touchscreens - This page contains information on Achievement Products tools that seek to enable children of special needs to better utilize the most common form of technology - the computer. Especially interesting to me of these options was the Big Track Ball, which seems like it'd be a great tool with technology users with weak fine motor skills.
Website #2 - Assistive Technology to Meet K-12 Student Needs - After viewing a site that primarily related to toys and younger children, I decided to look at one that relates more to my job! The first thing that I appreciated about this site was the definition of assistive technologies, which it quoted from IDEA, "'any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a child with a disability" (IDEA, 1997, 20, USC, Ch. 33, Sec. 1401 [25] US)." While looking through the provided list of examples of assistive technologies I saw technologies that I know of being used in my school system, such as:
  • Large-print books - I've heard my wife, who works as a school psychologist in one of our district's elementary schools, mention the use of these.
  • Computer screen, text and video magnifiers - A student at my middle school has such poor sight that he has to have a cart with him in each classroom that has a special magnifying system--which is much like a fixed video camera (like an ELMO projector) hooked up to a computer that uses software to magnify whatever is put under the camera--for him to use for any classwork.
  • Audio-voice amplification systems--A student I had years ago had hearing damage, so myself and her other teachers wore wireless microphones that sent our voice to individual amplification systems that were in a headband that she wore.
as well as ones that I have not heard of the use of in my school system, but found interesting:
  • Braille printer
  • Voice language translators
  • Portable word processors - After just reading about the AlphaSmart in Chapter 2, this caught my attention.

It is sad to hear of the special needs that some students and adults have to live with. These websites helped me feel confident that, at least nowadays, the educational system does its best to assure that these students' needs are met.

1 comment:

Dr. Kovalik said...

Professor Feedback:

What an informative, well written, and engaging journal entry! You did an outstanding job in describing your approach to the topic and providing details about what you learned. This was very enjoyable to read. I was impressed with your thoughts and insights about assistive technologies. Excellent!